Friday, May 05, 2006

On a friday afternoon in Berlin

What is there not to love about Berlin on a warm Friday afternoon? The cafes are packed, the sun is shining and the somewhat grumpy Berliners are smiling. I left work a bit early today and headed to a new driving range. Global Golf Berlin is fun, but I thought there must be more to the Berlin golf scene. What I found was strange, cool and somehow totally Berlin. Between a Lamborghini repair shop and a few German garden plots, stands an abandoned Deutsche Bahn depot that has been turned into the Golfer's Friend driving range and tiki bar. It's "so Berlin" because the randomness of it all somehow works. The story continues because you can aim your swing at an old VW whose final resting place is near the 200m mark. Even better, the golf ball pick-er-up-er (technical term) is attached to an old Opel that has been retrofitted with a cage over each window so it can drive around the range picking up balls while people are still hitting.

My fun afternoon continued when I got back to the Zoo. Outside the station, an electric guitar, drums and electric organ jazz trio performed as a part of the “Copenhagen Jazz Festival in Berlin.” The group was called Ibrahim Electric, totally rocked and looked like they were characters on "That 70's show." Adding to the performance, 2 old drunk guys were dancing to the music in a strange mix of what looked like tae kwon do and a cool jazz bop. No one seemed particularly bothered by the two characters. They actually added to the performance. (Check out Ibrahim Electric's website and listen to the album with the old guy on the cover.)

The warm weather also provides me with an opportunity to comment on some fashion trends that have popped out like the spring flowers.
1. I am happy to see that flip-flops seem to still be “in” in Berlin. Jesus sandals seem popular too, but surprisingly I haven’t seen anyone wearing Birkenstocks.

2. I was dismayed to see a high concentration of women wearing socks with dress sandals. News flash--- socks and sandals are an EITHER/OR kind of thing!

3. I saw another woman wearing boot-cut stonewashed denim jeans. Have stonewashed jeans come back in style? I’m not talking about “stone-washed” like how everyone’s jeans these days look a bit distressed and not solid blue. I am talking about the almost marbled jeans that were worn in the late 80’s. (Think AC Slater on "Saved by the Bell." Be honest, you know you watched it and have now downloaded the first season from Itunes.)

4. The pro-shop at the driving range was selling belts with iron club heads as the buckle. How do we feel about that? Comments?

And with those deep thoughts, I wish you a fun weekend!

7 Comments:

At 7:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, considering your fashionable cousin Corey rocks a belt made from real seat belt webbing and an actual seat belt buckle (on the back of which there really is a warning that it should not be used as a safety device), I would think that either (1) the golf belts aren't that far off, or (2) Corey needs to move to Germany where he can be with his own kind. However, considering my aversion to socks with sandals, I may need to stay in the U.S. and just visit Corey periodically.

 
At 4:24 PM, Blogger eightyone81 said...

Hey Erin!

Is that range close by the ICC convention center, by the Funkturm? Kind of below or next to an S-Bahn station with lots of old train station stuff around? I think I did a photoshoot there once...

 
At 5:03 PM, Blogger Erin said...

Maybe we need to get matching golf belts for Granny and Grandpa and then Corey won't feel so alone:-) And oh my gosh, if you have an aversion to sandals and socks, this is not the place for you. The Fab 5, or Stacy and Clinton need to come over here and help some of the misguided people I have seen walking on the street. Either it is too cold for sandals or too warm for socks, but the combo deal doesn't fly in my book (the fashion goddess that I am... HAHAHA!)

 
At 5:07 PM, Blogger Erin said...

Yes, that's the range I am talking about!! It's an adventure just figuring out how to get from Messe Sued to the little road that leads under the autobahn to the old train depot. Was the range just as "unique" when you were there? I think the tiki bar and pool might be new. Walking through the train depot was a little creepy, I must admit.

 
At 9:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Erin, I must admit that I have never heard of the term "Jesus sandals." Please elaborate, or if possible, post some pics! Jennie
ps. Hope you're having fun showing the Banerjee girls around town ;)

 
At 5:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jennie, Erin is an awesome tour guide! We have many adventures to share, but unfortunately we can't get the pictures to transfer to Erin's computer. Sigh . . . Anyway, I think I am going to move to berlin, I absolutely love it here!!!

 
At 5:09 AM, Blogger Erin said...

Jesus sandals are the flat sandals with either lots of brown leather straps or a piece of leather that runs along the top of your foot with leather straps down to the sole. I saw pictures of them in US magazines at Easter time too. I will try to (covertly) take a picture soon:-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home