Sunday, April 23, 2006

Nordic Walking

With wonderful spring weather having finally arrived in Berlin, I am enjoying running in the park that stretches from my apartment into Kreuzberg. Running gives me time to ponder my life and see new sights. One of these sights, however, has me completely baffled: Nordic walkers. Nordic walking seems to be the latest fitness fad in Germany and involves power walking with ski polls. Who needs ski poles to walk around a flat park in the middle of Berlin!? Honestly, I think this is the German version of Americans driving SUVs in the city—COMPLETELY UNNECESSARY! (Yes, I sometimes drove a Jeep around DC, but I was always aware that it was somewhat ridiculous.)

Anyway, there are supposedly some health benefits, but I think people should just swing their arms a bit more if they want to get up their heart rate. Furthermore, many of the people I see walking are loaded-down with either giant fanny-packs (like the Man Purse, always a no-no) or Camel water backpacks.

DC readers, are there Nordic Walkers in Rock Creek Park? How about elsewhere? I surely hope not!

In other news, Anuradha suggested that Wilma is not a good name for my bird. So I am now leaning towards Gabi, which was my German name in high school or Uta, which was my sister's. Any suggestions? I feel like there might a cooler German name out their that I am not thinking of.

7 Comments:

At 8:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry Erin, this is a HUGE trend here in the U.S. A guy here in TC is the top Swix salesman of walking poles in the US. There are classes ( yes classes) about every week, all year round. Go to skiwalking.com. While it seems kinda crazy to me, XC skiers have always done their early season training by going on multi-hour walks or runs on trails. Glad to hear you are enjoying your running. Look for a special package headed your way from TC.
DT

 
At 10:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think I've seen them around, but I'm not sure.

As for Gabi, I think that's an appropriate name for a single mom bird. After all, it's a slang word for women who socialize exclusively with gay men. Makes you think, huh? -Mango

 
At 1:42 PM, Blogger Erin said...

Very disappointing nordic walking news!!

Mango, is that for real? I doubt the Council Rock High School German dept. knows that.

I don't know whether there was a birdie one night stand or whether the dad is still around.

So no Wilma and maybe no Gabi (though I am still partial to Gabi.) If she was a sparrow we could call her Schatz Spatz. I have always loved the word Schatz. Alas, she I think she is a finch (new picts coming soon.) My family is famous for wonderful pet names... our 17-yr old goldfish was named Mr. Fish. Maybe Ms. Bird, Vogel, Finch or Fink would work? But Fink was a bad word in the 60's, so that's a no-go too. How about Angie?!

 
At 4:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 10:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How about Paula, after Paula Vogel the playwright? -Mango
p.s. Yes, Gabi is for real. Ask around.

 
At 9:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 11:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home