Thursday, April 20, 2006

Random Thoughts

Here is a collection of things I have been thinking about lately...

1. It was confusing to be back in the States, especially in Boston. I said “guten morgen” to another guest at the hotel. It just rolled off my tongue! He wasn’t German, but it just so happened that 6 Germans were also staying at our little 50-room hotel… what were the odds!?

I had an even more interesting German experience at the Freedom Run. 2 guys wore black, red, gold wigs, while a woman wore a black, red, gold feather tiara, and another couple of people carried German flags. It is possible that the wigs and tiara were being worn by a running club whose colors are the same as the German flag, but the German flags were unmistakable. Thinking back to the Berlin marathon, I did not see a single person with a German flag. Is this all just a coincidence or would a German feel more comfortable “waving the flag” outside rather than inside Germany? Maybe this is much ado about nothing, but I couldn’t help but ponder this question on my run.

I also ran behind another group of Germans for part of the run. Katie and I felt a little tricky being able to run and eavesdrop on a conversation in a foreign language at the same time;-)

2. There is officially a bird nesting in my flower box. Expect regular updates about this event on this blog. I am most excited!



3. I don’t think it is a good idea to read “He Just Isn’t That Into You” on the U-bahn. It leads to funny stares.

3 Comments:

At 4:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birdsitting!

 
At 5:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Erin, Leland will be soooo jealous that you are cheating on him with another pet! But don't worry, it will be our little secret.

Anuradha :)

 
At 10:50 PM, Blogger eightyone81 said...

Well, I was wondering about the flag situation too. In the U.S. everyone has a flag somewhere, might it be in the front yard, on the car antenna or as a sticker on the back window of the car. Germans don't do that. I believe that there is still a sort of embarassement about WWII going on. Every other country is waving flags but in Germany one earns weird looks for it. I think pride in your country is actually a good thing (to a certain degree of course) and maybe Germans would be less stuck up and complaining if they would just face the fact that these things are in the past. It's funny that you are wondering if Germans wave their flag being in another country.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home