Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Sssshhhh, everyone is sleeping

It's 5pm Berlin time and everyone has arrived safely, been fed and is now napping:-) I am sitting in the kitchen with my laptop and a mug of spice tea (thanks mom), looking out at the christmas lights in the greens on my balcony. The holiday season has begun and it is wonderful!

It was fantastic to greet everyone at the airport this morning. My mom, dad and Katie arrived at 9:45am. I got them to my apartment and then headed back out to pick up Granny and Grandpa at 12:15pm.

I think a German restaurant is on tap for tonight. Before everyone wakes up I need to review my German meat vocab words so I can translate the menu at dinner!

On an unrelated topic, I have decided that Germans should celebrate Thanksgiving not only because it is a nice family holiday, but also because Thanksgiving Thursday brings Black Friday. The economy here could use a boost! (For any Germans who might not know what I am talking about, Black Friday is the busiest shopping day of the year in the US. There are huge pre-Christmas sales and it is traditionally the day when a store begins to make a profit for the year--move from red to black.) I had totally forgotten about this important American holiday until I received my Lord and Taylor's Black Friday coupons via email this morning. I am sure the Taylors will have their own little Black Friday at the Berlin Christmas markets, but alas we are only 6 people:-)

5 Comments:

At 3:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had no idea why it was called "black friday." Thanks for the clarification Erin. I myself try to hide indoors on black friday. I am not a huge fan of the holiday shopping crowds, so I can't say I have ever actually gone shopping on black friday. Thank goodness for online shopping! Happy Thanksgiving Erin! Will you and your family be celebrating thanksgiving even though Germans don't? We are going to have thanksgiving dinner with Mittu and her family in Holland. Speaking of, where is Leland?!? Your folks could have left him with me! Then Priti, Leland and Mittu could have had thanksgiving together :) Ok, back to work. Take care! Anuradha

 
At 3:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tell everyone Corey and I say Happy Thanksgiving!! What fun to have everyone there to see your new digs. Make sure to send Granny & Grandpa home with some German chocolate!

 
At 10:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Erin:

Wake 'em up! For gosh sakes; travel all the way to Gemany to sleep. Must be Americans....

Now for me, I would surely ....

Never mind.

Tell your dad to keep rent a sports car and enjoy the autobahn.

 
At 8:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Thanksgiving! It is 8:33am EST and America's Thanksgiving Parade will start at 9am here in Detroit. We had 3-4" of snow last night and there is a strong northwest wind blowing this morning. Enjoy your traditional American Thanksgiving Dinner!

 
At 8:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Newtown and Rochester Taylor,
We tried to call yesterday on Thanksgiving but your cell wasn't on. We had a nice day in Grand Rapids yesterday, drove home through some some and woke up this morning to about 15 new inches. Now its time to play. Might head to Boyne tomorrow.
Dave, Lisa, Ellie, Dig & Ready
P.S. Make sure someone has room in their bags for some gummi bears.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home