Sunday, November 06, 2005

Friday Night At Potsdamer Platz

Every time I visit Potsdamer Platz, I expect George Jetson to wiz by in his flying car. Built in the shadow of the Brandenburg Gate, Potsdamer Platz and the Sony Center is a futuristic mix of office buildings, shops, restaurants, movie theaters and apartments. I never know what I am going to see when I visit, and Friday night was no exception!

Emerging from the subway station, I was greeted by snow. That’s right snow, schnee, the white stuff that falls from the sky. Austria (Germany’s Canada) is currently holding a festival to encourage winter tourism. As part of the festivities, a ski slope has been built at the entrance to the train station, complete with snow! Though I can’t wait to see the real stuff fall, it was fun to see Berlin’s first “snow” of the season.

The next cool thing I saw was a sign advertising that you can switch your Deutschmarks into Euros over the weekend at the mall. Too bad my old Marks are in Newtown collecting dust!

Finally, as I headed to the movie theater to see Pride and Prejudice, I noticed lots of people gathered in the Sony Center near the entrance to the theater. While I thought maybe the red carpet was being rolled out just for me ☺, it turned out that the movie “In Her Shoes” was premiering in Berlin on Friday. The red carpet was actually for Cameron Diaz, who was also in town to be a guest on a well-known German variety/talk show! My guess is that, like me, many of the people standing on the rope line had no idea what was going on but were willing to stand there because there were television cameras and people walking around pretending to be important. My movie started before any of the stars arrived, but the party that was set up inside the theater looked cool!

As a side note, I only recommend seeing the new Pride and Prejudice if you: a.) are not a diehard BBC P&P fan, b.) believe that men other than Colin Firth (ahh) can play Mark Darcy and c.) can watch a Kira Knightly movie without being super critical!

8 Comments:

At 5:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Erin, I do not think for a second that any man other than Colin Firth should ever be allowed to play Mark Darcy. While I love P&P, I will not be watching Ms. Knightly making a mockery of the story. --Mango d. M.

 
At 9:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Erin,
I agree - Colin Firth is not to be matched!
Jennie

 
At 10:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Erin, how can you possibly allow your blog to be an advertisement for a deer hunting supplies site?!??!?!? Must I remind you, that you are a vegetarian! Erin, what is happening to you in Berlin? Your astonished friend, Anuradha

 
At 12:26 PM, Blogger Erin said...

Hi Anuradha, Can you believe that people have figured out how to spam blogs! Ridiculous!

 
At 8:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Erin,
It's obvious you haven't told your German friends about all of your deer hunting relatives in Michigan. Just last week Auntie Fritz had to spend the night in the woods when she couldn't drag her buck back home so she just slit it up and kept warm in the steaming gizzards. Rumor has it everyone will receiving jerkie this year for Christmas.
DMT

 
At 4:37 AM, Blogger Erin said...

I hope Auntie Fritz sends my jerky home to Newtown as I don't know that cured meat is allowed through customs. For my birthday I would love a mounted buck head so I can hang it on my wall:-)

 
At 9:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Erin! What has Berlin done to you??? Anuradha

 
At 9:54 AM, Blogger Erin said...

Never fear, I am the same veggie that I have always been! And no worries about my Berlin activities... Berlin allows me to stay true to myself, but maybe just spice it up a bit;-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home