Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Pizza and Futons

What do they have in common you ask? Both can be delivered in 30 minutes! No joke!

I headed to IKEA yesterday to get a futon for Katie and me to sleep on next week while my family is in town. Since a futon is a little too big to haul home on the subway, I knew I needed to get it delivered or rent a truck. I decided renting a truck would have been a danger to myself and those around me, so I was pleased to discover that IKEA has partnered with a local transport company. While I knew I could have the futon delivered by the end of the week, I was shocked when, at 6:30pm last night, the customer service guy said he would deliver it the same day if I could be home in 30 minutes. I said sure even though I live more than 30 minutes from IKEA. The challenge was on!! (I felt like I was living the Amazing Race episode when the contestants were at IKEA in Sweden.)

So with hangars in my backpack and carrying an end table, I ran the 800 meters to the subway station, caught a subway, transferred subways and then ran the remaining 400 meters to my apartment. Did I make it? Heck ja ("ja" not "yeah" since I am in Germany!)

The IKEA victory was even sweeter because when I finished putting the futon together I only had one washer left (you don't really need those right;-))

3 Comments:

At 1:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You should have asked for help! I would have volunteered.

 
At 3:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Erin, only 30 minutes?? Wow! So, there is a new IKEA in Philadelphia down on Columbus and there is also the other one out by King of Prussia. I am a huge fan myself. However, as you know, in the States, IKEA takes up to a week to deliver! I am not as adventurous as you though and I usually hire someone to build the furniture for me. I know, I am lame :)

 
At 11:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

woops, I didn't sign the previous post. It was written by me, Anuradha

 

Post a Comment

<< Home