Friday, November 18, 2005

Winter Wonderland

Yes, you guessed it, Berlin received its first snowflakes of the season today. I’m stoked!! What can I say? I come from a snow-loving family! The Taylor-side loves skiing. My Uncle Skip likes to drive to the store during snowstorms just for the heck of it! My mom just painted a county snowplow with the number 756, which is the number that is read on the radio if the school district has the day off.

I couldn’t help but feel more alive as I left my lunch meeting and flakes were flying. The air was crisp, sounds were quieter, and everything moved a bit slower. Snow does mean, however, that the fantastic fall weather is gone and that it is now FREEZING cold in Berlin. Maybe that is one of the reasons my colleagues told me I need to find a “Berlin Bear” this year;-)

There is one upsetting fact in this happy snow story, however. I have been informed by colleagues that Germany doesn’t “do” snow days. In the words of the great philosophers Wayne and Garth, “ex-squeeze me?” It does not really matter that Berlin get less snow than Michigan or can clear snow better than DC (which isn’t saying much.) A snow day is like a surprise present for God. Nothing is better than waking up and realizing that you don’t have work or school! Maybe Berlin will "luck out" and get a blizzard this year that will force a snow day!!

There was no accumulation today, but rest assured that I will be posting snowy Berlin pictures as soon as there are snowy Berlin pictures to take☺

8 Comments:

At 9:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What on earth is a "Berlin Bear"?

CJS

 
At 5:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think it's a hot Berlin guy with a really sexy accent.

 
At 1:17 AM, Blogger Erin said...

This is what the blogosphere is all about-- discussion and helping your fellow blog readers with answers to "important" questions.

Indeed Anonymous (I think I know who you are) and Niki are correct!

No real news on this front, but when I visit Santa at the mall this holiday season I think I will tell him that a "Berlin Bear" is at the top of my list;-)

 
At 7:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Germans hug people?

CJS

 
At 7:30 AM, Blogger Erin said...

I had a couple yesterday as a matter of fact:-) But they also do the European cheek kiss thing...confuses the heck out of me. Do you start on the left or the right, I always forget!?

 
At 1:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think the key to the european kiss is to let the other person take the lead. Just remain completely still and let them choose a side and then respond accordingly. Although, this is my rule for kissing generally. Unless, of course, it is with a Berlin Bear :) Anuradha

 
At 2:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes . . . Yes I do like to drive to the store in BIG SNOW STORMS. . . So get out of the way and watch out for the GO BLUE 4X4 Jeep Liberty.

 
At 2:28 PM, Blogger kelly said...

heehee. i was hoping just the other day that we would get a snow day. i think a dc-style blizzard would do it. even the hard-working germans couldn't deal with that quickly enough if it snowed, say, 12 inches from 5-8 am :-))))

 

Post a Comment

<< Home