Thursday, July 06, 2006

4th of July

Well I have now spent my second 4th of July in Berlin and I hope there will not a third. This feeling has nothing to do with Germany and everything to do with America... it is just not normal to not be in the good ol'US of A on the 4th of July! I was actually in Berlin on the 4th when I was in Germany during high school. On that trip, I remember all the girls singing America songs as we got ready for the day in the bathroom of the youth hostel--funny how you remember little things. But I don't remember being that upset about not being in the States. This time around, I had a great day-- shopping, got my nails done and met up with friends, but it just didn't feel right not being with a city full of people celebrating the day.


Americans get serious about German soccer!!




Erin gets serious about German soccer. I might just wear my groovy hat when I get back to Washington!

Actually, Germany was all abuzz, but it had nothing to do with Independence Day. Germany played Italy in the semi-final of the World Cup on Tuesday. Unfortunately they lost:-( I am still excited to see Berlin after the final game on Sunday, but it would have been 10 times cooler had Germany been one of the final two teams. Now I am cheering for France because...



I am currently in France and it was exciting that they won their game last night! I am here to watch the Tour de France race through Caen today and then tour Omaha Beach, Point du Hoc and the American and German cemetaries tomorrow. Bayeux has already exceeded my expectations! But let me put this nicely... In the two hour it took me to get from the airport to the train station, I definitively concluded that I will NEVER be a francophile and am very happy being a Germanophile. More on France later (when I cqn find q keyboqrd aith the correct key plqce,ent 111)

8 Comments:

At 9:37 AM, Blogger Erica said...

Oh my goodness -- I watched the the race this morning from the gym, and I'm pretty sure it was the Caen leg (the sound was turned off). Maybe I saw you on TV!

Sorry about Germany. Seriously, my first thought after the match was, "oh no, poor Erin."

 
At 11:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't wait to hear your non-France stance. Did you see the tapestries? Also, Erin's granny, if you happen to read this, I am really enoying your frozen-watermelon-with-sprite summer drink. It is keeping me alive without air-conditioning!

 
At 3:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lexy or Erin's Granny,

Please share the frozen watermelon with sprite drink recipe!

Erin -- Yes, I completely concur with you about France. I had the same experience trying to get from the airport via metro to Caroline's place. It was a big contrast after having just been in Berlin. But, it is a beautiful country with fantastic food.

TTYL,
Anuradha

 
At 3:40 PM, Blogger Erin said...

Yes, poor Germany:-( When I got back to Berlin this evening, people were dressed in their black, red and yellow best to cheer the team on in the game for 3rd and 4th place, but the excitement was no where near what it was for the semi-final.

The most sad (but kinda funny moment) was the guy I saw at the train station who was singing a song to his buddy about Germany being World Champs ("54, 74, 90, 2006.") After he sang "we will be the world champs," his friend turned to him and goes, "yeah, but now we won't be." "Yeah."
It kind of reminded my of Hoops and Yoyo:
http://www.hoopsandyoyo.com

 
At 3:47 AM, Blogger kelly said...

you know the new version of that song is "54, 74, 90, 2010" who knew the germans were so optimistic? :-)

 
At 6:07 AM, Blogger Erin said...

Yes! I was so excited when I heard that yesterday at the Brandenburg Gate celebration... way to be optimistic!

 
At 10:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Erin, you look SO cute in the pict of you with the soccer ball hat!

Anuradha

 
At 10:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Erin, you look SO cute in the pict of you with the soccer ball hat!

Anuradha

 

Post a Comment

<< Home