Wednesday, June 21, 2006

12 step program

Wow, I think I am in need of a 12-step program for soccer addicts! My schedule is becoming more and more dictated by which games are being played when. I have never been like this before about a sport (other than Katie’s races.) But soccer fever is rampant in the city and I have definitely caught it! Germany won last night and people drove around for hours afterwards, hanging out of the windows of their cars with German flags. I don’t really know how the city will survive the excitement if Germany continues to advance past the next round.

Here are some pictures I took near the Brandenburg Gate over the weekend. The guy with the hat was a riot. He wore the hat to the top of the Reichstag too!















Last night, I met Carl and some of his friends in Kreuzberg to watch the England-Sweden game. Two cute teams were playing (minus a few hair malfunctions,) Carl was rooting for his home team, the weather was great… it was a wonderful soccer evening! The game ended in a tie, which means Sweden and Germany play each other in the next round. I would have preferred an England-Germany game, so Sweden and Germany would have the chance to advance to the quarter-final. But so goes the game, I guess. They meet on Saturday. I think my allegiance has to lean to Germany, because I want to see how wild the city can get if Germany wins it all:-) In the meantime, the USA plays Ghana tomorrow. Send the team your good vibes!

who's that face-painter waiting on the street corner?









Carl! (no smiling stoic Swede)












dreaming of a Swedish victory









beer garden in Viktoria Park

15 Comments:

At 6:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

nice pics! Thanks a lot!
Franka

 
At 9:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why didn't Carl have his glasses on? And, is that Danish beer he's drinking? Tsk Tsk.

I heard the game was fun. Hopefully you saw some close-ups of the Swedish players. They're pretty cute ;)

J.

 
At 12:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great site, fantastic comments. Love it.

 
At 1:04 PM, Blogger Erin said...

Carl wasn't wearing his glasses so as to not smudge the face paint. He was taking one for the team:-) (But put his glasses on after I took the pictures.) Indeed there were some Swedish close-ups... Carl says one of the players in a CK model. I have to Google that! On the other hand, one very misguided young man has a rat tail...YUCK, YUCKY, YUCK, YUCK, YUCK!

 
At 1:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here is the Swedish football player who is a CK model: http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com/06/en/w/player/169551_LJUNGBERG_Freddie.html

Wow, he is SO hot!

AB

 
At 1:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com/06/en/w/player/169551_LJUNGBERG_Freddie.html

Sorry, here is the link. Try this one. It will be well worth your time :)

 
At 1:34 PM, Blogger Erin said...

http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com/06/en/w/player/169551_LJUNGBERG_Freddie.html

Not exactly my taste, but certainly not bad either:-)

 
At 1:35 PM, Blogger Erin said...

http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com
/06/en/w/player/169551
_LJUNGBERG_Freddie.html

stupid Blogger won't wrap this link. Let's try it one more time

 
At 2:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It has been brought to my attention that some readers of this blog, who will remain nameless, believe that another member of the Swedish team is hotter than Mr. Ljungberg. Although I couldn't disagree more, I will leave it up to you as readers to decide, Ljungberg or Mellberg? A certain Mellberg fan who describes him as a "wonderful viking specimen" provides the following link: http://www.aftonbladet.se/sport/0510/08/SPORT-08s99-mellberg-75.jpg

Enjoy!
AB

 
At 2:29 PM, Blogger Erin said...

I am support of using this forum for scientific polling. Here's one for Mellberg:-)

 
At 2:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

As a Census employee, I have to say that this poll is very unscientific. That said - I'm still casting my vote for Mellberg ;)
J.

 
At 2:38 PM, Blogger Erin said...

:-p

 
At 5:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm usually all about the "manly" square jawline, but LJUNGBERG's lips put him over the top. And goatees are so-o-o 90s. :-x
(the other J)

 
At 5:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am going to try to keep this "PG," but have you seen Freddie wearing NOTHING but a pair of CK underwear? Let me just say this, it's not his lips that you'll be focusing on ;)

 
At 10:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chaney says Mellberg is cuter, hands down.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home