Sunday, July 02, 2006

German "issues"

Please pardon the rant... but I am &*$$@%!

DVD players are set to a certain region, based on where you live. You can change the setting 5 times, but on the 5th time, the player locks on whatever region it is currently set. THIS IS TOTALLY UNFAIR! The purpose of a laptop is to travel. If you are traveling, you might be abroad. If you are abroad, you might legally buy DVDs and want to watch them. But noooooo!

PC users can easily get programs to get around this little (big) technical (legal) problem. Unfortunately, a similar program for Apple users doesn't work on new-ish laptops. I didn't realize this until after I bought 2 German DVDs. So now I am stuck with 2 chickflicks with the wrong region code and I just realized that I only know one girl German. (That's strange too!)

In other news, I have decided that I need G.O.D. Of course in a "higher" sense, I have always known this. But the GOD I need is a German On Duty. This would be a helpful German who at any point could answer my questions about all things Germany; who would help me avoid the international incidents that I know are just waiting to happen. Preferably, my friends could coordinate their schedules so GOD would always be around;-)

Tonight, as an example, I was thinking about writing a cover letter in German. But do Germans even write cover letters? If they do, I doubt they are as "yea me" as American cover letters. Does "I feel I am uniquely qualified for this position..." translate? I also can't find the direct translation for "skill set." Germans have "qualifikationen" (qualifications/skills) but is this really the same as a skill set? I like the word "skill set!" The Germans who I thought might have been home are not, so blogging about this matter seemed to be the next best solution:-)

Wooo, I feel much better now that I have gotten these highly important issues out into the blog-o-shere.

Have a good night!

6 Comments:

At 5:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know a few female-type Germans who might like a good chick flick, if you want to offload them. As a matter of fact, one in particular might be able to help you with the cover letter issue, too, since she's stuck at home with a broken ankle... and is familiar with both the US and German ways of "doing business". Lemme know if you want her contact info... :-) JP

 
At 5:43 AM, Blogger Erin said...

Hi JP, I will let you know about the chick flicks. Speaking of chick flicks, I have to send your books back to you too. Ugh, I'm still so bummed I can't watch Bridget Jones II-- the scene where tries to tell the pharmacist (auf Deutsch) that she is pregnant makes me giggle just thinking about it!

I think I am all set with cover letter help, but thanks. Indeed one G.O.D. called, another emailed and Lexy sent some samples this morning:-) (Little do these people know that they might all be called for words of wisdom should I actually land the job;-))

 
At 11:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh dear Erin, I feel your pain. I too often feel that technology is entirely unreasonable. I am currently fighting with my DVD player because it is refusing to work for no apparent reason! ARGH! And, I really really want to watch a cheesy chick flick! (Under the Tuscan Sun).

Hope you had a good weekend!!
Anuradha :)

 
At 12:12 AM, Blogger Erin said...

Ooh, Under the Tuscan Sun is great! Here's to hoping for "ladybugs, lots and lots of ladybugs." ;-)

 
At 6:26 AM, Blogger Erica said...

I totally feel your pain! It's especially annoying when you're a little sick of the DVDs you brought with you from home and you can't rent new ones.

On the bright side, at least you know about the locking after 5 switches thing -- think of how crappy it would be if your laptop got stuck on the wrong region!!

 
At 1:22 AM, Blogger blauger said...

Skill set is just another one of those usbusinessjargonwords that means absolutely nothing. Zilch, nada nichts, zero.

Ze Germans will be perfectly happy Qualifikationen and the world will be much better for it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home