Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Freakin' Out

Here is a completely random set of thoughts for the day. The first thought explains why I don’t have more to write about at the moment.

1.I am completely “freakin’ out” about the presentation I have to give on Monday. Today it was revealed to me this morning that someone from the foreign ministry is going to be invited! This is what I looked like by lunch today...



2.What on earth happened to team USA last night against the Czech Republic? I certainly hope we do better against Italy! As was discussed while watching yesterday's dismal performance, hopefully the Italian boys' floppy hair will get in the way and prevent them from seeing the ball.



3.Why do German children have square book bags? I walk past an elementary school on my way home each afternoon and am quite puzzled by this phenomenon. Maybe the better question is why do Americans have more organic-shaped bags? Books and folders are square/rectangular after all. Still, I can’t help but think that the little Germans are wearing rocket packs so they can blast off to the moon or home for the afternoon.

6 Comments:

At 11:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, I had one of these square things, too, I think.

After Grundschule you are definitly so embarassed with these, and you don't want anybody to see you with such an ugly bag, you will beg your parents to buy a new one. Consequently these are just Grundschulbags (hihi), and everyone beyond the fourth grade will have normal "organic" shaped book bags.

 
At 11:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

BANG! Books are square. Folders are square. It makes a TON of sense that the bags should be square . . .

CJS

 
At 3:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aren't those German backpacks modeled after the ones that soldiers used to wear? Or is that vice versa? In any case, I think the square ones are cute. J.

 
At 5:02 AM, Blogger Erin said...

The other type of German book bag, that is cloth or leather but has two simple leather straps to keep it closed, does remind me of the bags soldiers carry. As for the brightly colored hard square bags though, I don't know.
3...2...1...takeoff!

 
At 1:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i learned that the square children's bags were called "scouts." that may just be a brand name though. apparently they are very easy for children to carry, almost like a backpacker's pack allows a hiker to cary 1/3 of his body weight without extreme pain in his shoulders.

 
At 1:54 AM, Blogger Erin said...

Those crafty Germans! I figured there had to be a reason for how they look.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home