Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Bbrrrrrr

It is currently, “you take my breath away,” tongues freeze on flagpoles and boogers freeze in your nose cold in Berlin! The front that is currently bringing single digit temperatures to Berlin is bringing even colder temps to Russia and Poland, so I guess I can’t complain too much. But holy cow it is cold here!

In commemoration of this chilly weather I would like to present the
“ELT Cold Weather Clothing Awards”:

Coolest outfit: the guy I saw this evening riding a little scooter while wearing a leather jacket and GIGANTIC Russian fur hat.

Dumbest outfit: the girl I saw wearing a short coat, hat that didn’t cover her ears and stiletto FMBs. Fashion boots are not winter boots! One needs to especially keep this fact in mind in Berlin because the sidewalks never get shoveled and you have to trudge through the snow.

Silliest and most un-PC outfit: this is a group award to all the men I have seen wearing fur coats. I am sure these coats are warm but in this day and age of thinsulate and other jacket insulation, let the little animals stay in the forest! On top of which, there is a hilarious Seinfeld episode about men wearing fur coats so I can’t help but think about Cramer and David Putty every time I see a fur coat in Berlin.

Most practical (albeit not super stylish) outfit: I admit that this award goes to me. I decided to buy children’s snow boots after determining that I was unwilling to buy either adult boots that had high heels and no insulation or puffy purple metallic old lady boots. Mine actually look sporty with jeans, but not super with dress pants. Oh well, my tootsies are warm and there is plenty of time for cute shoes in the summer☺

7 Comments:

At 3:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Erin, stay warm!!! Thank goodness you have a fluffy duvet to come home to :) I was reading an article in the paper yesterday about how this is the coldest winter russia has had in like 20 something years! Too bad that you guys are getting hit by the same cold weather :( Perhaps you should find a nice warm somebody to snuggle up with? :) Just don't fall in love with him and end up settling down in Berlin! I want you back in the US! Take care -- Anuradha

 
At 9:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Erin - glad to hear you're being practical and not sporting stilleto boots this Winter! I've heard about the cold front first hand and even have one of those silly Russian hats now for cold DC days. Jennie

 
At 9:44 AM, Blogger Erin said...

I hear Russia has lots of things that can help one stay warm during the winter:-)

 
At 11:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, Erin. That rumour would be correct ;D

 
At 1:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Erin, stop trying to change the subject! I am *concerned* about how YOU plan to keep warm this winter. Details please ;) Anuradha

 
At 9:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have bought you the ULTIMATE pair of mittens to keep you warm!! Expect a package soon :)

kt

 
At 6:36 AM, Blogger Erin said...

Anuradha, I am somewhat concerned about how I plan to "keep warm" this winter too, but I am working on it, never fear;-)

Katie, the mittens will be a good start (and maybe even encourage me to start running again.) Thanks!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home