Monday, December 05, 2005

For the love of chocolate

I am most excited that we are now in December, because I am able to enjoy my Advent calendar. Since I live alone, I suppose I could have eaten all of the chocolate out of my calendar weeks ago. But something about the little doors with dates on them keeps me honest! The coolest thing I have noticed about advent calendars in Germany is that they are definitely not just for children. They were being snatched off the shelves on November 30 like people were stocking up for a storm. Not only can you get calendars with molded chocolate inside, you can also find truffle calendars and chocolates filled with liquors.

Talk of chocolate calendars brings me to a related topic: Kinder Chocolate (chocolate for kids.) Made by Ferrero, the stuff a German institution and is practically marketed here as a health supplement. 5 pieces contains an extra serving of milk! I had more than one intern in Washington try to convince me that it had no caffeine in it and was healthy for kids. (Umm, if the chocolate is brown, there is caffeine in it and each piece also has 7 grams of fat!)

My favorite version of Kinder Chocolate is the Kinder Überraschungseier, which are chocolate eggs with a toy inside that you have to put together. I bought them for dessert one afternoon when my family was in town and they provided minutes of entertainment:-) I have started a small collection of the toys in my apartment. As I see it, I am getting extra calcium and decorating the windowsill in my kitchen-- a 2 for 1 special!



Just today, however, I heard news of a Kinder Chocolate crisis. I would like to draw your attention to www.weg-mit-kevin.de. It seems that the company has changed the poster boy from Günter to Kevin. If you visit the "away with Kevin" website, you can vote for which kid you like better and then sign a petition that will be sent to Ferrero. The creators of the website explain that not only is "Günter" a part of the Kinder Chocolate institution, Kevin uses hair gel, has probably had his teeth whitened and is wearing a polo shirt that is Angela Merkel orange (her election campaign color.) This is a pop culture crisis of the first degree. I hope that all Germans make their voices heard on this issue!

8 Comments:

At 8:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Erin,
I signed the petition!
Jennie

 
At 8:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Erin,
I signed the petition!
Jennie

 
At 12:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am worried about these chocolates with the toys inside. I honestly think that they are a serious choking hazard and are a lawsuit waiting to happen! Hopefully the company that manufactures them has good legal counsel, or there is a disclaimer on the packaging! If you want to make some money Erin . . . ;) Anuradha

 
At 3:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anuradha,
Must you and Erin be such capitalists? First Schlappen sauce, then Kinderschokolade, what next? Perhaps you'll try to package Freiburg happiness in a bottle? Jeesh.
Jennie

 
At 9:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I got a Kinderei from Markus, too! Yay! -Mango

 
At 1:29 PM, Blogger Erin said...

So Jennie do you like Guenter or Kevin? I am sure Ferrero has good lawyers, though people are not as sue crazy here as they in the States. I think the general rule of thumb should probably be, "if Timmy is still trying to put other non-edible things in his mouth, eat paste, etc... he should not have a Kinderueberraschung." Parental responsibility please!

 
At 7:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ohmygoodness, I would love to be counsel for Ferrero! Anuradha :)

 
At 7:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

p.s. Jennie, I thought that the Shlappen Sauce was Frieburg happiness in a bottle? Or perhaps that's what we should call it! Erin, we will make millions! Jennie, are you sure you don't want in on this? -- Anuradha

 

Post a Comment

<< Home