Sunday, December 04, 2005

Weihnachtsmarkt Mania!



With over 50 Christmas markets in Berlin alone, I knew this month would be busy! While I don’t know that I will make it to all 50+ this year, I did visit two fantastic markets this weekend.

As Carl, Christina, Niels and I walked around the Alt Rixdorf Market in Neu Koeln on Saturday night, I felt as if I had entered Germany 100 years ago. Wooden houses with shutters lined the cobblestone streets. Christmas stars and lights decorated balconies surrounding the central square. Choirs sang Christmas classics (and “Don’t Worry Be Happy”) and the aroma of wurst, gluwein and roasted chestnuts filled the air. In the open space behind the church, children rode camels and horses. The booths lining the street were filled with wooden toys, handmade books, church rummage sale items and other hand made goodies. Though Neu Koeln is known as a shady part of town, Alt Rixdorf was absolutely charming. Good call Carl for realizing that this market was only open this weekend!

Totally different, but equally fun, was the Christmas market I visited Sunday night with Matthias in Spandau. The Spandau market must be one of the largest in Berlin. Last year 750,000 wursts and 450,000 liters of gluwein were sold to an estimated 1.4 million visitors. The market was PACKED with people—children were playing carnival games, the gluwein was flowing and vendors offered everything from beeswax candles to dream catchers. As it got a bit later, the crowd thinned out, we had dinner and I increased my Christmas market mug collection by two (thank you Matthias!)

Work should keep me busy and out of other Christmas markets this week, but I am just 5 days away from the Freiburg Christmas Market. The countdown to “the happiest place on earth” has begun!

4 Comments:

At 10:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Frieburg Christmas market???? Ohmygoodness!!! Where do they have it? In the plaza right in front of the Cathedral? Please, please take lots of pictures! Are you going to go to Schlappen? Ohmygoodness, I am soo excited for you. Anuradha

 
At 2:24 PM, Blogger Erin said...

The market isn't in front of the cathedral but rather across the street in front of city hall. It's actually better that way because the open air market still takes place near the cathedral PLUS the Christmas market this time of year!
What would a trip to Freiburg be without Schlappen? My current plan to get get a big plate of fries and watch the announcement of where teams will play for the World Cup on Friday. (And flirt with every waiter I can find until I get one of them to give me the sauce recipe;-))

 
At 6:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice! That sounds like an excellent strategy Erin. Good luck! Anuradha :)

p.s. Have you been to the men's bathroom???

 
At 8:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home