Monday, December 12, 2005

Final Thoughts

Allow me, if you will, one more Freiburg entry…

Here are a few final thoughts:

1. I had just enough gluwein to keep warm, but not so much that I thought running through the baechle would be a prudent idea. (Baechle are streams on the side of every street carrying mountain water. Legend has it that if you walk through one you will marry a Freiburger.)

2. Schlappen’s special French fry sauce recipe remains a secret for a little longer. Back to the test kitchens!



3. Sponge Bob Square Pants and his friends are Catholic. I have proof--look who I found at the top of the cathedral!



4. Freiburg is much more preppy than I remember. Burberry scarves and Polo sweaters were everywhere! Maybe my observation is just in comparison to Berlin, but I think it might be a Freiburg thing I didn’t notice 5 years ago. There were so many flipped collars I almost I thought I was at GW.

5. It would be very helpful if I won the lottery so I could found a NGO with an office in Freiburg and ones in the States so I could jet set between all my favorite locales.

6. Freiburg is crazy hard to get to, but if you ever even remotely near, I highly recommend a visit. I heart Freiburg!

4 Comments:

At 10:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Erin, I thought you had to fall into the Baeschle to marry a Freiburger? Believe me, Jennie and I tried!!! I heart Freiburg too! So glad that you could make the pilgrimage. Was this your first time back since you studied abroad there? Anuradha

 
At 2:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sponge Bob Square pants in the Muenster, Burberry scarves and flipped collars on the streets: what is going on? At least Schlappen fries look yummy as ever. Did you take a trip back to the Mensa? And did you go to our favorite bakery and have a quark-vanilla-gipfel? Jennie

 
At 8:27 AM, Blogger Erin said...

I think you are correct Anuradha, you have to fall into the baechle in order to marry a Freiburger. Does pushing count? I don't know. I guess we all need to visit together so we can try out the theory (though summertime would be better:-))

Unfortunately, the bakery did not have any quark-vanilla-gipfels. I guess that means I have a reason to back.

 
At 10:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Erin, Jennie and I have this fantastic picture of the two of us dipping our feet into the baeschle. It was such a gorgeous day -- the sun was shining, the birds were singing . . . It was really gorgeous. Sigh. I believe that is also the day that Jennie made me hike to the top of that mountain! That wasn't so good. We'll all have to visit sometime together, in the spring when the flowers are in bloom down that gorgeous street!!! :) TTYL! Anuradha

 

Post a Comment

<< Home