Monday, December 12, 2005

The weekend has ended

Alas my trip to Freiburg has ended. After dropping my bag off at the train station on Sunday morning, I took the streetcar to my old dorm. Other than a new Aldi at the tram stop and a Vietnamese restaurant nearby not much had changed. When I looked up to the windows that used to be mine, I found myself wondering if the girl/guy who lives there now is enjoying their time in Freiburg as much as I did? Will she/he be back in 5 years to reminisce? (Wow, I was a junior 5 years ago!)



After my trip down memory lane, I headed back to the Christmas market. I had a couple more gifts to get and hoped that it would not be too crowded on Sunday morning. It was still packed but my mission was accomplished on the gift front. As a gift to me, it flurried all morning long, adding a brisk but beautiful touch to the market. The flurries also added a white cover over the hills above the city, which was my next stop.

It was on my way to the overlook point that I found the slide in the picture below. Holy Moly! That is not for the young or weak-stomached! It must be new because it would have provided hours of entertainment for me had it been there in 2001.




After a bit of lunch it was time to head back to the train station. I think something fishy was going on in the Black Forest because I kept seeing guys carrying lighted lanterns (and one carrying a giant flashlight) walk through the station to wait for a train. Very peculiar!

I am typing this entry on the ICE Sprinter, a train that will make no stops between Frankfurt and Berlin—WOOSH! The train is packed and I think the girl next to me plans to cry all the way to Berlin after a most romantic and tragic goodbye with her boyfriend at the train station in Mannheim (how insensitive of me, I know!)

Woo, a stewardess just came through and offered complimentary chocolate and newspapers… I like the Sprinter☺

3 Comments:

At 8:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wonderful travelogue, Erin - wish I was there . . .

CJS

 
At 9:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Erin - I wish I was there too! Your entries are really great; they brought back a flood of memories.
Jennie

 
At 9:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I so enjoyed "my sojourn" in Freiberg, thanks to you! It's great you got to revisit a place that clearly meant so much to you---one really can "go home again", it seems.

Mrs. R

 

Post a Comment

<< Home