Thursday, October 06, 2005

German Reality Shows

As many people are aware, I watched WAY too much reality television in the US. You name it: Survivor, the Amazing Race, Princes of Malibu, The Osbournes, Newlyweds... I think I saw everything at least once.

I hoped I would break my terrible habit in Germany. Germany has lots of public television with documentaries and variety shows with lederhosen-wearing singers, right? Well yes, this is true. But Germany is also not lacking in the reality programming department.

Big Brother still seems to be popular here. There is also a German version of Extreme Makeover: Home Edition.

But hands down, my favorite reality show so far in Die Hausmeister. A Hausmeister is the person who maintains and manages your apartment building. Actually I don't like the term Hausmeister (a literal translation would be "house master.") It sounds a little creepy and sinister. But the show is a RIOT and portrays Hausmeisters in a very positive light!

The program follows three or four hausmeisters as they keep their buildings free of fire, vermin, hoodlums and other dangers. My favorite hausmeister last week was Frank, who is in charge of a student dorm in Dortmund. During the episode he explained to students why they could not repaint their bedroom walls with kitchen mops and why live-in girlfriends have to register with the proper authorities (Germans are big on registering!) He also went door-to-door to find out whose underwire bra broke the communal washing machine. And he gave one poor misguided student a cooking lesson, when he found the student trying to boil water with a trivet over the burner. Meanwhile, 2 hausmeisters were busying investigating a "mouse" that turned out to be a faulty smoke detector. And another Hausmeister sprang into action, breaking down the door of an apartment that had cigarette ashes smoldering in a trash can. I cannot really see my 65 year old hausmeister Mrs. Blinde breaking my door down! I better not burn anything this year!

So there you have it, a small recap of Die Hausmeister. What will they do next week? Stay tuned...

3 Comments:

At 9:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 11:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh my dear! what happened to erin?

I have to confess. I have never watched this soap. Never.

 
At 1:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Erin!

Greetings from the Twin Cities! Congratulations on moving into your new apt and getting started with your work! Sounds like you are having a fascinating time over there. I would love to come visit - darn my lack of vacation days!! :( Not much new in Minnesota, other than Don making elaborate plans of how to decorate for Halloween, his very favorite holiday.

Take care and love!
Steph

 

Post a Comment

<< Home