Friday, September 30, 2005

Fall Friday in Berlin

I am sitting in a cafe on the Kurfurstendamm drinking a hot chocolate and taking advantage of the wireless internet on the Kudamm... life is good:-) How can you beat atmosphere like this... Max the bichon frise just came in with his owner and is sitting between me and the bar. Much like another bichon I know, he is barking at everyone who comes in the door. His owner is smoking, drinking an expresso and has a haircut like Liza Minelli in Cabaret...I love it! Maybe I should consider a haircut like that...dyed red like Run Lola Run!

I took a cab to the apartment this morning (because I underestimated how much stuff I still had in my room.) Not only did this make the final move easier, I had an amazing conversation with the cab driver. She was a woman, which was interesting in an of itself. Even more fascinating, she used to work for the East German army as a cook. She lost her job when the East German army was folded into the West. She said compared to the East German army, today's army is a "vacation club." I asked here where she was when the wall came down and she said she was at home and thought her colleagues were "crazy" when they called to tell her what was going on. Also of note, she was very appreciative towards Gorbie, who she credited for the fall of the Wall. I could have driven around with her all day listening to her interesting perspectives!

Well I am off to buy a cake pan.

Have a great weekend!

13 Comments:

At 11:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Erin,
Did your cab driver forgive you for choosing to live in the Weat, rather than the East? ;) Also, I would love to see you come back with an outrageous hairstyle!!! Rockin' in DC and PA with bright red hair...
Tchuess,
Jennie

 
At 4:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just another Erin... I lived in Germany for awhile... Wiesbaden? Enjoy your time there, I loved it.

 
At 11:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, I will try my best to convice Erin of a bright red hair cut. Perhaps I should try to fix a rendez-vous (I think Americans would say appointment) with Udo (the hair cutter of Angie Merkel) for Erin.

 
At 4:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

HI Erin,
We continue to love to read your Blog Reports. How very interesting.Did we tell you we loved the pictures of your new apartment? We Did!! Michigan State lost to Michigan today in the first overtime. Don't know whether to say Hooray or Boo Hiss.
Will be writing a e-mail soon to tell you what we have been up to.

Love, G&G

 
At 4:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

HI Erin,
We continue to love to read your Blog Reports. How very interesting.Did we tell you we loved the pictures of your new apartment? We Did!! Michigan State lost to Michigan today in the first overtime. Don't know whether to say Hooray or Boo Hiss.
Will be writing a e-mail soon to tell you what we have been up to.

Love, G&G

 
At 11:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know if I can handle the shoes and a "Lola rennt" haircut when you return to the US... although, it might make it easier to spot you during the Boston Marathon :)

Love ya tons!!

KT ;)

 
At 7:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Miss Katie! I'm sure, you will handle Erin with a "Lola rennt" hair style! At least, I have one year to convince her. But I think, we should try it asap. It might be really fun! And I think, red would be a good color for Erin!

 
At 9:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Niki and I vote for the Run Lola Run haircut and shoes . . .

CJS

 
At 2:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you should dye it dark black, and go for the goth look.

But red works for me too... in a run "Run Erin Run" style...

 
At 11:17 AM, Blogger Erin said...

So many thoughts on my hair! I guess you will all just have to visit to see the results of my first hair appointment:-)

 
At 3:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't wait for saturday!

 
At 11:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mr. Matthias- you better not be a bad influence on my sister... Although, if you are willing to let her choose a hairstyle for you, I may reconsider the "Run Lola Run" hairdo :)

-KT

 
At 4:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Miss KT, I agree the bet. Red hair for Erin!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home