Thursday, September 15, 2005

Bach!


Wednesday’s highlight was a Bach concert performed by the Bach Academy of Stuttgart at the Berlin Philharmonic. A 50-person choir and an orchestra performed one of Bach’s church services for a full 2 hours without an intermission. The concert was truly remarkable. The Philharmonic building was, in and of itself, something to see. I can’t wait to go back for other concerts this year!

An interesting note: last weekend I mentioned the amount of dog doo that is all over the city. Well now I have quantifiable proof. Our tour guide today told us that dogs in Berlin produce 30 tons of poop per day. OH MY GOSH!

(who else would discuss classical music and poop in the same journal entry!)

Here is a picture from my visit to the Memorial to the Murdered Jews of Europe. In the background you can see the dome and one corner of the Reichstag. The construction cranes are from the new US Embassy that is being built next to the Brandenburg Gate, which you can also see in the picture. I hope the picture it does of good job of representing the many faces and time periods of Berlin.

3 Comments:

At 7:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Berlin is working on this problem. See Article in the Hauptstadtblog.

 
At 9:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Erin,
The concert sounds great - if you get to see/hear the Berlin Philharmonic then you are incredibly lucky. Tickets were so hard to come by when I was there..

I'm glad that the city is finally doing something to clean up the mess on the streets. Good grief.
Jennie

 
At 6:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Erin, I would have liked to hear more about the concert itself! J.S. is rolling over in his grave over how you just brushed over his music to talk about dog poop! I am disappointed! (But, I hope you had a good time and be careful where you step!) Anuradha

 

Post a Comment

<< Home