Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Start spreading the news…I’m engaged!

As my year in Germany races into its final days, I suppose it is time talk about the future.



I’d like to begin with a little song…
“Start spreading the news, I’m leaving today. I want to be apart of it, New York, New York…”

After much thought and deliberation, I have accepted a position at the British General-Consulate in New York! As a local hire, I am considered a Locally “Engaged” Employee. (I think I have a lot of British lingo to learn!)

(Do you get the title now? ;-))



Wow, so New York City! Never in a million years would I have guessed that I would move to NYC after my year in Germany. I’m the DC girl, the Michiganian from Philadelphia, the American Frau who wanted to stay in Germany… but not a New Yorker! But alas, I am super pumped about the many new things I’m about to experience.

The move resurrects some questions that I had just about one year ago…

1. Will I be an Ossi or a Wessi? Where will I live--the Upper EAST Side or the Upper WEST Side? Or perhaps a brownstone in Brooklyn or a high rise in Long Island City will be more of my speed. Who knows!
2. How will my workplace be culturally different than before? My great grandpa was British and served in the British Navy, so I know I’ve got some Brit in my somewhere. I need to channel him to help me avoid new “international incidents.”
3. Will I make friends? Luckily friends, and friends of friends have come out of the woodwork with advice and warm welcomes. Equally nice, home is just 1.5 hours away.
4. What can I afford? All I can say is “HOLY CRUD” housing is expensive.



So that’s a peek into my future. Does a new city mean new “adventures” to blog about. Very possibly! Stay tuned…

8 Comments:

At 3:05 PM, Blogger Erin said...

M treats you well and on the look out for me... I knew I liked him!

 
At 8:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello. My name is Susie and I live in San Antonio, Texas. I was google-ing Berlin one day (about a month ago) and found your blog. I got so interested that I've almost read it all! You've had quite a year! I just got back from a 35 day trip to Europe and one of our stops was Munich and Heidelburg. My father was once stationed in Berlin and then Kitzegen (near Wurzburg) back in the early 90's... so Germany is very dear to us. I just wanted to say congratulations on your new job! You work hard and deserve the good life! If you ever get a myspace I'm at: http://myspace.com/susiebuggie. Best of Wishes to you!

-Susie

 
At 10:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Funny enough, I think it is very appropriate that Erin's road has brought her back to NYC... because like most things in Erin's life, there is a connection to her first national television appearance.
As a wide-eyed Michiganian sixth-grader, who grudgingly moved to Pennsylvania, Erin was chosen to be a contestant on "Where in the World is Carmen San Diego?” which was tapped in... NEW YORK CITY! So, for about a month, Erin studied maps and globes and atlases, further developing her deep love of all things international, cultural, and political. The day finally came for the actual show and a nervous Erin, with her bangs swept to the side, gave her thumbs up to the camera as Rockapella sang their mmm-bops behind her. Her competitors were a preppy, private-schooled New Yorker named Sam Globis (yes, the name was ironic), and Katy Zachary, a fellow Sol Feinstone Elementary classmate. Little did Erin know, that girl standing next to her would become one of her very best friends to this day. You all know the drill, Vick the Slick, one of Carman San Diego's crooks, had stolen the Nile River, so Erin, Sam and Katy were on the case to catch him, and then ultimately Carmen herself. The battle was intense. Sam got off to a fast start, answering almost every question correct, but Erin and Katy stayed close, proving public school was just as good. Then came the lightning round! Erin and Katy made up even more ground, until the moment that still makes Erin cringe to this day. Vick the Slick was in the German city known for fashion and cars, and our favorite gumshoe quickly buzzed in... "Paris", she said proudly. 10 crime bucks were immediately deducted and the future Media Analyst for the German Embassy and Alexander Von Humboldt fellow never fully recovered. (I am left wondering whether those 10 crime bucks could have helped Erin afford an apartment in NYC today?). Sam and Katy moved on to round two and Erin graciously smiled as the Chief told her about the globe basketball and subscription to National Geographic she would be receiving. For those of you who don’t know, Katy beat Sam to finding the Loot, Warrant, and Crook, and then went on to dominate a map of South America and capture Carmen SanDiego.

So, there you have it… a budding interest in international affairs, her best friend, Germany, and New York City. The only thing that would make this any better is if Erin went into her first day at the consulate and Sam Globis was sitting at the desk next to her.

Erin used to sleep with a giant map on the wall next to her bed so the world was the last thing she saw before she feel asleep and the first thing she saw when she work up… these days Erin can just look out the window. Nice job, Gumshoe, nice job.

*** For those of you who would like a copy of Erin’s television appearance, please contact her beloved, younger sister ☺

 
At 1:34 AM, Blogger Erica said...

Hey Katie,

You know, I've heard the story a number of times, but I've yet to actually see the tape...

Ash is moving to your neighborhood in a couple of weeks. I suggest Cold Stone Creamery and a viewing of Erin's (in)famous TV appearance :)

Cheers,
Erica

 
At 4:32 AM, Blogger Erin said...

Paris (Germany)... yes, admitedly not my brightest moment! On my behalf, I did correctly answer one Germany question during the Lightning Round...about VW Beetles.

As for a viewing of the tape in Woodley Park, I think that is a REALLY BAD idea!

 
At 4:33 AM, Blogger Erin said...

Susie,
Glad you stopped by and commented! If I set up a Myspace account I'll be sure to be in touch.

 
At 9:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

before i even finish reading this post, i cannot believe how cruel you are for the title. i screamed and like called emil to get up from bed and then...i find out...i love your sense of humor.

 
At 12:00 PM, Blogger William Thirteen said...

mmm....NYC will provide a survivable reentry vector into the great satan...it is one of the few actual culturally viable locations in bush's amerika....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home