Friday, August 11, 2006

Rendezvous

I flew to Dublin, Ireland today so I can rendezvous with my parents and sister tomorrow morning. We are all going to Kilkenny where we will attend the wedding of a family friend. I have been stoked about the trip all week long! At the moment, I feel like a little kid waiting for Santa on Christmas Eve night… too excited to go to bed, but know that if I go to bed, I will wake up in the day I have been waiting so long for!

Traveling a day after the latest terrorism scare was not a problem. My Ipod cord caused the security guy to give a big “ah-oh” and search my bag, but after that things were just fine.



I didn’t really expect much from Dublin, so was pleasantly surprised as I walked around this afternoon and this evening. Trinity College is gorgeous and Temple Bar is a lively and picturesque part of town. I had a great dinner on the Temple Bar Square. As I listened to street performers play Irish music and a musician in a local bar sing Mrs. Robinson, Ring of Fire and Leaving on a Jet Plane, I enjoyed a dinner of fish and chips, mashed green peas with mint and squash orange juice soup. An Irish guy who seemed to have already spent the better part of the day at a bar added to the experience by singing along with the songs.



Let’s see, what else do I love about Ireland? The people are unbelievably polite and friendly! If you just barely brush past someone on the street, he stops, looks you in the eye and says sorry. I also love that Oprah is on TV in the afternoon. (I really miss Oprah!) Other cool discoveries included extra large Kinder Schokolade bars and sandwiches with “sweet pickles.” Sweet pickles seem to be little chunks of pickles in a dark spiced sauce—YUM!



Well I am off to bed so I can be at the airport bright and early to greet the rest of my crew.

As they say on the BBC, “bye-bye for now.”

4 Comments:

At 5:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"In Dublin's fair city, where girls are so pretty . . . "

Oh, Dublin looks beautiful! I love the flowers in the window boxes, reminds me of Freiburg :)

Enjoy, please say hello to your folks and take lots of pictures!

Anuradha

p.s. I am heading to Holland, PA tomorrow :)

 
At 10:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have fun in Dublin--and try to spend time in the countryside if you can. Gor-geous! -Mango

 
At 10:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

And pick up an Irish lad of you can. I heard they can be quite charming too! ;)

 
At 1:24 AM, Blogger Erica said...

Hope you're having a wonderful time in Ireland -- can't wait to see pictures of Kilkenny!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home