Monday, August 28, 2006

Characters

I have been touched and amazed that people have wanted to read this blog. I barely knew what a blog was just one year ago. But as it turned out, I have thoroughly enjoyed keeping a written record of my year in Germany. This blog, however, has only been partially written by me. Many people have been almost as religious about commenting about my postings. This interaction is really what a blog is all about. Just as they do in the movies, my Uncle Dave recently suggested that I should provide a small “where are they now” description of the most frequent posters. Great idea! Here is a sampling...

Anuradha—(she gets the first entry because many people have asked me about her:-)) Anuradha is a friend from college who now works in Philly as a lawyer. Her interests include playing with her adorable bichon “Priti,” singing classical music, and dating (you go girl!) In the future, Anuradha hopes to work for Amnesty International or raise bichons.

Jennie- The queen of Pad Thai is also a friend from college and was my cohort in crime in Freiburg. This fall Jennie will be making a move from super Census Bureau employee to super-duper UCLA PhD candidate.

CJS—otherwise known as “Corey Coffee Pot,” my cool older cousin is a lawyer in Nashville. When not at home being suburban with his wife Niki and loveable dog Connie, Corey moonlights as the 3rd Jug Sister in the Nash Trash Tour.

The Exit- The mastermind behind Hauptstadt blog the and The Exit blog, Matthias is my oldest German friend. When not working on his PhD, cooking or going to the opera, Matthias enjoys planning outings with friends and family. In the future, Matthias will probably run a company…or a country, you just never know!

Erica— A friend from college and former roommate, Erica is currently a 3L at Georgetown Law. She has spent the summer in Kenya at an internship with the UN. Her “highest” achievement was climbing Mount Kenya. Erica plans to return to DC in the fall, where she will focus on working for the environmental law journal and meeting boys.

Katie- Katie is my favorite little sister:-) Her hobbies include running, sandwich making and cuddling with Leland. Currently, Katie IS the grass roots advocacy department of the national heath association in DC. One day, she will be in charge of the Boston Marathon. Katie is interested in dating an athletically inclined, funny, politically moderate guy!

G&G- Granny and Grandpa Lee—Kappy and Lee are happily retired in Michigan. When not on the golf course, volunteering, or in the garden, Kappy enjoys cooking and sewing. When Lee is not golfing, waiting for Kappy at the sewing store or working in the yard, he enjoys playing on the computer and doing Suduko. Both enjoy being Bush Pioneers and spending time with family and friends;-) In everyone’s opinion, Granny and Grandpa are “Good Things.”

Niki—the ying to Corey’s yang, Niki is a crocheter-extraordinaire who works for her alma mater, a well-respected university in Nashville. When not playing with Paisey and Chewy or listening to “Corey stories,” Niki enjoys spending time with her family in California, Indiana and Arizona.

Mom- Martha is the world’s best mom, wife, daughter and art teacher. On the weekends you might find my mom scoping out the Golden Nugget flea market, shopping at TJMaxx, reading an art book or working in the garden. One day, she and my dad dream about living in the Manitou Island Lighthouse in Northern Michigan.

EightyOne81- just as I am an American in Berlin, Jonas was a Berliner in America, California to be exact. He found my blog earlier this year and we have enjoyed exchanging perceptions about our adopted homelands. Now back in Berlin to finish up his degree, Jonas could just be the next Annie Lebowitz or Ansel Adams. Check out his blog!

Lexy- The queen of Kreuzberg, Lexy was a fellow BUKA this year. She can bake and knit like no other and spent her year in Berlin collecting teaching materials about the GDR. This fall, Lexy will begin her masters in Library Science at the University of Wisconsin and start to plan her wedding to Emil!

Kelly- the newest newlywed of this year’s BUKA group, Kelly (and Lexy) formed the core of the Midwestern BUKAs. She is the only person I know to have gotten married to the same guy three times:-) (state, German and US.) Down the road, Kelly will either be a professor or a CIA agent stationed in an Arabic speaking country

Anonymous- “Anonymous” is funny, has a quick wit and likes to be a bit secretive. He/she probably spends a bit too much time surfing, but has picked a great site to visit (if I do say so myself:-))

If you’ve posted as anonymous or stopped by without posting and want to reveal yourself, post your own bio. I’d love to hear from you!

8 Comments:

At 7:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Erin, thank you for your super sweet bio. Just one clarification, M is not my boyfriend per se, he is more like a guy I am seeing. Let's see where things go . . . ;)

Can't wait to see you!!!

Anuradha

p.s. I hope that you are feeling better.

 
At 12:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I may be one of many, but I am still Anonymous... except to those in the know, of course. In addition, I'm also currently known as "Homeless", "Car-less" and - most distressingly (to me, anyway) - "Shoeless". How is it possible that I flew to Germany one year ago with an entire suitcase full of fabulous (and utterly useless) shoes, yet I landed in Cali a week ago with only a pair of worn-out flip-flops, broken down running shoes and Birkenstocks?!? How the mighty have fallen... :-)

Looking forward to catching up with you stateside! -J

 
At 1:39 AM, Blogger Erica said...

It's been so great to read your blog this year and keep up to date with all of your adventures. Thanks also for inspiring me to write my own!

Have a safe trip home and see you soon!!!

 
At 2:34 AM, Blogger Erin said...

Anuradha, okay I will post a clarification. Thanks for the well wishes. I am still pretty congested and tired, but I'm sure I'll be fine by the time my plane takes off on Friday:-)

J, I hope you find a cool Cali apt. soon...and some shoes... where did all your cool shoes go? Let's talk as soon as I get resettled!

Erica, you have a safe trip home too. Can't wait to catch up some time next week!

 
At 11:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Erin,
Thanks for the shout out on your blog. I've really enjoyed living vicariously through your Berlin adventures over the past year and hope to catch up with you in real-time soon. See you on either coast ganz bald. Perhaps now that there are two loyal blog readers in California, you'll consider a trip to the lovely state itself? Jennie

 
At 1:43 PM, Blogger Erin said...

I will definitely be out to visit you in California!! I request that we go to Rubios for some fish tacos... YUM!

As for a trip to Sin City, I'm all for that too!

 
At 3:04 PM, Blogger Erin said...

this motto seems to have been widely interpreted this year by many friends. I still don't know exactly what it means, but to me going to Vegas means lounging in a pool while a good looking pool boy brings me a drink!

 
At 10:58 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Good to hear you've enjoyed it in zee Vaterland anyways. At least you'll be stopping the countermeassures when ve are trying to conquer zee world again.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home