Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Driving on the wrong side of the road

Internet in Ireland was a bit scarce and a lot expensive, so here is the first of a few Ireland entries that should have been posted in the last couple of days...



The first Ireland adventure was driving, plain and simple. The Irish drive on the left side of the road and my dad had been dreading getting us from Dublin to Thomastown for months. All in all he did a fantastic job!

But the journey can be best summarized by my mother and father:

In the parking lot:
Mom: "Doug, is there a practice course we can drive the car around a couple of times?"
Mom: "Erin, I am being serious, this is not funny."

Leaving the airport:
Mom (from the back seat): "oh” (gasp) "oh my gosh" (gasp gasp) "look right!"
Dad (with hand firmly at 10 and 2): "that is not helpful!"
(Katie and I are trying not to laugh)

Approaching Kilkenny:
Mom: "honey, I just thought I would tell you that you are hitting the bushes."
(Katie and I are laughing hysterically!)

Alas, we made it safely to Thomastown on Saturday afternoon and the resort was spectacular! We had our choice of activities: golf, clay shooting, hunting, trout fishing and croquet. Cheerio!

proof that my mom and dad were in an Irish pub!

After checking in and having a spot of tea, a Taylor family first occured: we all went to a pub together! Who would have thunk it! The occassion was the rehersal dinner and the specific pub was where Abby and Dermot (bride and groom) first met. The music was great and it was fun to meet the rest of the wedding guests.



Breakfast at the lodge on Sunday morning consisted of bacon, eggs, black pudding (blood sausage), white pudding (contents unknown,) and delicious Irish brown bread. Sunday afternoon, my dad golfed and my mom, Katie and Dr. and Mrs. R and I drove into Kilkenny and toured the castle and visited an art center. I would highly recommend Kilkenny!—while a bit touristy, it is filled with interesting shops and pubs and pubs and pubs.



Check back later for wedding and general Ireland observation postings!

2 Comments:

At 10:54 AM, Blogger Erica said...

"Your poor dad" is right, but it still must have been so funny!

 
At 3:08 PM, Blogger Erin said...

It really was quite funny! We hit the bushes once and the curb twice, but we should have won the safe driving award at the wedding. Every other guest we talked to had already lost a side mirror or "kissed" some kind of non-moveable object with the paint from their car.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home