Wednesday, May 24, 2006

The Big 2-6

There is but one event that has been celebrated in 2 states and the District of Columbia, one year had a "Simpsons" theme, one year gave out live goldfish as the party favor, but has never before been celebrated in Germany. What could such a rockin' event be, you ask? It is none other than the birthday of yours truly:-)

Yesterday was my 26th birthday--I am now solidly in my mid-20's, closer to 30 than to 20. I think I might have found a wrinkle near my eye, but I don't have any grey hair (I did a thorough check!) On the upside, I am now closer to being "Thirty, Flirty and Thriving," as one of my favorite chick flicks says;-)







the girl group

and the boy group

To celebrate the occasion, I had a party-- a fun German-American evening, with a Russian thrown in for good measure. German cheese spaetzle and American birthday cake were on the menu. Plus, I was sung to in English, German, Russian and Chinese... very multi-kulti! It truly meant a lot to me that most of my Germany peeps were here to help me celebtrate!

Make a wish! Action shot!

Matthias and Andre sing a German birthday song

I would just like to say though, that planning a party for 10+ in Germany can be a bit challenging. Multiple trips to grocery and "beverage" stores were required because I can only buy what I can walk home with (and the guys ended up making another beer run anyway.) Of course when you get home, a German size refigerator does not hold all the food that multiple shopping trips produce. Then there is the matter of DISPOSABLE plates and silverwear. It is hard to find here and is expensive! Forget about disposable metal cake pans! I know it is bad for the environment to throw all that stuff away (bla, bla, bla,) but I will just chalk it up to one of the "American" parts of the evening. Besides, what else was I going to do? What 26-year-old has more than a few place settings? I know this sounds like complaining, but really I am not! It was just a bit more of a challenge than party planning in DC. Heh, I'm always up for a challenge. Plus, it offered some fun German-American cultural comparisons!

Andre, Dave, Lexy and Emil
Jude, Nancy, Lena and Matthias

Even better, today is a German holiday so I have the day off. I'm laying in bed under my duvet as I type this! Happy Birthday to me:-)


9 Comments:

At 4:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Erin! Thank you very much for this lovely party, where I could me very interesting people. And the Käsespätzle was definiteley delicous!

 
At 9:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Erin Doodle! We're thinking of you here in Nashville and will sing "Happy Birthday" to you in Southern English next time we see you. Then you will truly have a multi-cultural birthday.

 
At 10:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, Erin! The party looks like it was a grand affair. ;) Multiple trips to the liquor store? What were you up to?? -Jennie

 
At 10:59 AM, Blogger Erin said...

Erin Doodle! I thought Corey had sole claim to that nickname, but since you married him I guess you are allowed to use it too;-) I expect some singing in a southern accent at the reunion! The German group in the Eurovision song contest this year was called Texas Lightning-- now there's some southern singing. Actually the music is great, check it out! http://www.texaslightning.net/index.php?area=songs&language=e

 
At 11:02 AM, Blogger Erin said...

I throw wild parties, what can I say;-) No, seriously I picked the wine based on the nice shape of the bottle or the pretty label and thought that 8 bottles of beer was enough... oops!

 
At 1:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow, someone who is really talented with cameras obviously took that action shot...
thanks for the great party!

 
At 4:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

7:17am!!!!
Happy Birthday to
my sweet Erin Laurel!!
I am so glad that you had a wonderful party with wonderful friends! We will celebrate your special day in Ireland!!
I love you lots and lots and lots.
mom oxoxoxoxoxxo :)

 
At 2:00 AM, Blogger Erin said...

Indeed there was a talented photographer at the party who captured such a fun action shot... my chipmunk cheeks, half the candles blown out and the flames moving on the other half-- very nice work;-)

Thanks mom! I hope that art show went well:-)

 
At 12:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy birthday! - Mango

 

Post a Comment

<< Home