Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Marathon Day!

Swan boat at Boston Public Garden. We lucked out with a great weather weekend!

The girls after the Freedom Run

After a fantastic weekend filled with a Duck Boat Tour, walking around the Public Garden and a 2.8-mile fun run on Easter morning, Monday was the day for Katie, Dave and Lisa to get down to business and run the marathon. At 7:30am, we walked them down to the Boston Common where dozens and dozens of busses were waiting to take everyone out to Hopkinton. You could see runners coming from all sides of the park. Some were jazzed, some obviously nervous, while others walked quietly, waiting for their morning jolt of caffeine to kick in. It was amazing to think that the next time the athletes saw the park they would have run 26 miles!

The support crew (mom, dad, granny, grandpa, Ellie and I) found a perfect spot to watch the race—300 meters from the finish, right on the street, under the jumbo-tron and near a port-a-potty! Ellie and my mom passed the time by writing messages on the street with sidewalk chalk. I passed the time by eating a lobster roll:-)

Dick and Rick Hoyt

As with other marathons I have watched, the day is always filled with emotion. It is exciting to watch the first runners race by and hope that an American is among them. But the best part of the marathon really begins after the elites finish. This was the 25th year that Dick Hoyt ran with his son Rick, who suffers from cerebral palsy and is confined to a wheelchair. The chair and Rick weigh 140-lbs, Dick is 65 and just had surgery, but the two ran the race in an amazing 3:46. They are truly an inspiration! The crowd went wild as they passed. Two “jogglers”—who run while juggling, set a world record for their efforts. There were also US soliders who ran the race with all their gear and in military boots and hundreds of others who were “running for a cause.” The dedication of all the runners, whether they finished in under three hours or over six, is remarkable—maybe a little nutty—but amazing nonetheless.



It was awesome to see all the Taylor runners come down the home stretch! Lisa passed through first, followed by Dave and then Katie. Katie and Lisa were pleased with their performance; Dave less so. I was just impressed that they were all still on their feet running after 26 miles! Though I have joked about this comment before, I am so proud of them all!

Katie-- How do you feel? You feel good!!

We all headed their separate ways on Tuesday. I am now back in Newtown and fly back to Germany this afternoon. What an unforgettable whirlwind!


At 10:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amazing! I am so proud of all of the Taylors!!! Anuradha :)

At 8:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Erin,

Congrats to Katie and your aunt and uncle. Hope you had a good trip back to Berlin!



Post a Comment

<< Home