Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Back to the States and More

Here’s an “American in Berlin” posting from the good old US of A. I’m back in the States for Easter and to watch Katie and my aunt and uncle run the Boston Marathon.

I think I am really getting the hang of jetting between countries:-) But it did feel odd to be leaving Berlin after just returning from the study trip —my clothes didn’t quite dry before I repacked them.
The trip was great; I even had a whole row of seats to myself.

The only “fun” part of my trip was at check-in. At the risk of stereotyping, let me describe:
French employee: “oh this bag is too heavy, this is a problem.”
Erin: “oh I am sure it is under the weight limit. I am confident.”
(flash a friendly smile)
Frenchy: “well we will just see, won’t we”
Erin: “Bring it on Frenchy. Didn’t your mother every tell you that if you make ugly faces like that it might stick one day?” (okay, actually that was just my internal monologue.)
Lo and behold, the bag was under the limit:-P
Then…
Frenchy: Who else touched your bag?
Frenchy: To whom did you loan your computer?
Frenchy: What other things are you carrying for other people?
In essence, he was asking the same questions as the nice German employee at Christmas, but yesterday’s guy was very accusatory. It was not a good American-French interaction!

In other news, spring has sprung in Berlin and love is in the air…
My friend Lexy, another fellow, just got engaged! I hope that she and her fiancé don’t mind me sharing their good news on the internet:-) Congratulations Lexy and Emil!! You can tell that Lexy and I were meant to be friends because in the email she sent to announce her engagement, she talked more about the tomato spaetzle and cheese sauce she made for dinner (I’m not joking!)

Meanwhile, in Wilmersdorf, I have a bird nesting in my Christmas greens and the crocus are blooming outside my apartment. The trees have that slight pink tinge to them, a little preview of what’s to come. Everything should really be blooming by the time I return next week. I think Springtime for Erin will be a good thing!

6 Comments:

At 11:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't wait to hear what all the fuss about cheese spaetzle is. I did have it once before while visiting Munich, but perhaps I didn't enjoy it because of the company I had it with (no, not JY). I have no doubt that the company in which I enjoy my next plate of spaetzle will be MUCH more fun :) Can't wait to see you!!! Anuradha

 
At 2:11 PM, Blogger Erin said...

OUCH! Well whatever the reason for not liking spaetzle in Munich, I'll see what I can do about getting you some good spaetzle when you visit me:-) CU soon!

 
At 3:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

p.s. Best of luck to Katie and your Aunt! I will be cheering them on from Philadelphia :) Anuradha

 
At 6:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What about the "love" part?

 
At 7:09 PM, Blogger Erin said...

Herr Exit, you are stirring up trouble and I think you know that:-) The "love" part is that my friends got engaged. Any announcements involving me and such a topic would probably not find their way to the blog. A wise blogger once said "kissing and telling" on a blog is not a good idea and I agree!

 
At 5:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home