Thursday, July 13, 2006

Watermelon Ice Cubes


Inspired by a recent Herr Exit blog entry and because Lexy and Anuradha requested it (see comments,) I thought I would post the recipe for Granny's Watermelon Cubes.

Watermelon Cubes
4 cups cubed (and de-seeded) watermelon
2 TBS lemon juice
1/2 cup sugar

Process all ingredients in a blender until mix is smooth and sugar is dissolved.
Pour into an 8-inch square pan. Cover and freeze for two hours or until firm.
Remove from freezer and cut into ice cube size pieces
Keep cubes in freezer until you are ready to serve with Sprite or 7-Up.

(note: I don't have a blender in Berlin and have had success with smashing the watermelon with a potato masher and then pouring the mix through a strainer to make sure it is somewhat smooth.)


This is a delicious summer treat--best enjoyed with Granny and Grandpa Lee, but good even if you don't know them;-)

8 Comments:

At 9:30 AM, Blogger eightyone81 said...

Hey Erin!

I am in Berlin, desperately looking for a place to stay for a coulpe of months. Know anything? Let me know!

Best

Jonas

 
At 11:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yummy watermelon! That could be tres chic in LA, or just very practical in overcoming hot DC humidity. J.

 
At 12:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree that these watermelon cubes are the best!!
Love, Mom oxoxoxo

 
At 4:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Erin,

The Watermelon Cubes sure look good!!Smart idea to use a potato masher to chrush the cubes. Is that a M.S. "Good Thing"?

Love, Granny

 
At 1:30 AM, Blogger Erica said...

Isn't cooking fun when you're not at home and don't have all the equipment/ingredients you're used to?

I have discovered many uses for the potato masher -- including making applesauce -- I've yet to find any in Nairobi and it is a key ingredient in applesauce muffins!

 
At 1:45 AM, Blogger Erin said...

Applesauce muffins... I forgot about those... I miss those too! I'll be at your house in September for breakfast:-)

 
At 11:05 AM, Blogger Erica said...

Sounds like a plan to me, but I don't think we should do breakfast and our Berger cookie quest on the same day : )

 
At 3:07 PM, Blogger Lexy said...

I didn't want to bother you for this recipe YET AGAIN (I guess I need to print it out once and for all) and I was trolling the internet and BOOM! I find it in its original form. Thanks!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home