Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Terrorism or avalanches

Next week I am heading to Austria for a couple of days of skiing. Honestly, the whole process of finding a place to ski has been a bit stressful. I know this sounds like whining, but it really is more complicated than skiing in Pennsylvania or Michigan. Stay at a hotel, pension, gasthof or hostel? Take the ski bus to the chairlift or ski to the mountain? What is the Austrian equivalent of a green circle or blue square trail? Rent skis in town or at the mountain? What the heck is half-board?

Just when I thought all of my questions were answered and plans were set, I see that Kitzbuehel will have a category 4 avalanche warning tomorrow. Holy crud, I hadn't even thought about avalanches! As I have recently discovered, the avalanche warning system is like the Homeland Security terrorism warning system-- five levels with coordinating colors indicating the seriousness of the current risk. Apparently the warning was at 2 last week and 3 this morning. It was at 4 this afternoon and will be 4 tomorrow, but is expected to be at 3 on Friday. 2 and 3 I can handle; heck the terrorism warning has never been at the second lowest level. But I think level 4 is not good!

Kitzbuehel is supposedly a great apres ski town, so I am sure if people aren't skiing next week people will find other activities to keep them busy. I will be keeping my fingers crossed that the warning returns to level 2, so I can ski and apres ski;-)

6 Comments:

At 9:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do you think Tom Ridge came up with the scheme while skiing in Austria? I wouldn't be surprised. This administration is often found slacking off on the job, let's take Katrina, for example.

AB

 
At 10:26 AM, Blogger Erin said...

How can you knock Tom, he's our PA boy! (But I did have a similar thought when I first saw the rating system yesterday;-))

 
At 10:27 AM, Blogger Erin said...

Then again, I guess Santorum is our PA boy too. Don't even get me started on him.

 
At 12:18 PM, Blogger Johnnie Oz said...

Snow? Here in DC, it's over 70 degrees (that's some 20 C for all y'all)! Kitzbuhel should be fun. Make sure you try the Hahnenkamm, that's the world's most feared downhill slope!
BTW, in the 1980s, Swedes were supposedly banned in Kitz. Something about no dogs and Swedes allowed, had to do with binge drinking. How unfair, eh?
Awesome that you're taking Turkish! Always wanted to myself and now you've inspired me.
CB

 
At 6:21 AM, Blogger Erin said...

You have to watch out for those Swedes, they are nothing but trouble;-) Swedes or no Swedes, I have heard Kitzbuehel is still quite the apres ski locale. Should be fun (because I am such a wild and crazy person!)
I can't believe it is 70 in DC, yet I also can't believe it is still snowing in Berlin! The spring bulbs and Easter decorations at all of the flower shops are covered in snow. Ideally it should keep snowing in Austria until Saturday and then spring weather should arrive--I wonder if mother nature reads my blog?

 
At 1:34 PM, Blogger eightyone81 said...

my dad just came back from our house in Austria and said the snow was perfect, just very cold... You're gonna have fun in Kitzbuehl...
About the drive-thru's: I especially like ATM drive-thru's, just out there. Making sure you have to leave your car as little as possible...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home