Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Random Thoughts and News Clips

Lacking any big news in the last few days, I give you the following:

1. I look the bus to buy a box of tea and ended up at H&M and bought a spring skirt. (My Berlin ADD at its finest!) I loved the skirt but now think it looks like the clothes Maria made for the VanTrapp children out of her curtains so it might have to go back. I’ll keep you posted☺

2. I got a language partner! Bascially we’ll meet one a week and speak German for part of the time and English for the other part. The first meeting is Sunday. More afterwards!

3. In the States there is a show about how junk food is made—everything from cheese curls to Peeps. The German "how'd they do that" equivalent seems to be Galileo. On Monday I learned how hangers are made and that “bio-gas” (you figure that one out) really is flammable. I also learned a new word: “Wasser Wurst.” What is that you ask? A water weenie! Ha! Apparently a good toilet can flush 6 or 7 of them at a time.

4. Dieter Bohlen, the German Simon Cowell, had to appear in court this week because he “dutzed” a police officer. I’m not kidding! As I have mentioned before, in German there is a formal and informal way to say “you.” I had heard that you should never “dutz” a police officer, but didn’t think that there was a law against it! There really does need to be a German version of the video game I mentioned in my last posting. If you “dutz” a police officer, GAME OVER!

5. You can buy hash browns stuffed with cream cheese and herbs at my local grocery store. One word: YUM!

3 Comments:

At 1:43 AM, Blogger kelly said...

hey! congrats for discovering galileo. i'm always torn between the tagesschau and galileo. usually it's very interesting stuff, and being German tv, they once showed how vibrators are made and did an experiment for whether vibrators or the real thing led to a better orgasm... only in Germany...

 
At 8:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would love to see that Galileo . . .

I accidentally dutzed an old guy during my first time in Germany and he shoved me.

CJS

 
At 1:26 PM, Blogger Erin said...

Galileo really is something! Next time we get together, I'll have to explain to you how the flammability of "bio-gas" was determined... it was quite an experiment! As for the segment that Kelly saw, I will refrain from commenting other than to second "only in Germany."

Is your other comment true or is that a "CJS story?" If it is real, I need details!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home